Why Organic

There are many reasons why you should use a natural and organic approach. Here are some reasons:

 

Your Plant’s health

Chemical programs focus on sickness. First they encourage lush growth, which can make the plants more susceptible to pest problems, and then they apply chemicals to solve the pest problems. These chemical sprays can weaken or kill beneficial organisms in addition to killing the target pests. When the pests return, they find a weakened plant and weakened predators. That’s when companies apply more chemicals. It’s a downward spiral.

An organic system focuses on plant health, not sickness. Using organic materials helps to increase your plants natural defense system, making chemical treatments less necessary. The overall concept of using organic fertilizer is to enhance and feed the soil life. Soil life is composed of microbes and beneficial bacteria, both which perform important functions in the soil such as the decomposition of organic matter and also interacting with the roots of the plant feeding them the nutrients they need to thrive. Most if not all nutrients your lawn needs are in the soil. By feeding the soil, the organic fertilizers allow the microbes to unlock the nutrients the grass needs over time and keep the grass growing at a more even rate.

 

Your Family’s Health

-According to the American Cancer Society and the EPA, “95% of the pesticides used on residential lawns are considered possible or probable carcinogens”

-EPA National Research Council states that pregnant women, infants, children, and chronically ill are at greater risk from pesticide exposure and chemically induced immune-suppression, which can increase susceptibility to caner.

-A study published in the Journal of National Cancer Institute finds home and garden pesticide use can can increase the risk of childhood leukemia by almost seven times as well as increasing a child’s likelihood of developing asthma and behavioral disorders.

 

Your Pet’s Health

-Studies from the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association state that dogs exposed to herbicide-treated lawns and gardens can double their chance of developing canine lymphoma and may increase the risk of bladder caner in certain breeds by four to seven times.

Pets are probably the ones most affected by chemically treated areas unknowingly absorbing pesticides through their mouth, nose, eyes, and through there skin as it sticks to their fur. Our pets are part of the family so be conscious of your pet’s environment and take steps to reducing potential pesticide exposure.

 

Your Environment’s Health

-According to beyondpesitcides.org 30 of commonly used lawn pesticides: 16 are toxic to birds, 24 are toxic to fish and aquatic organisms, and 11 are deadly to bees

Pesticides harm the environment and the plants and animals that it contains. Pesticides are damaging when they are introduced into rivers, streams, and other bodies of water. This can occur when the pesticide leaches through the soil where it is applied, when it’s accidentally spilled into the water, or when water run off is contaminated. In waterways, millions of fish are killed by pesticides each year, and other aquatic life also suffers the consequences of pesticide-contaminated water. Pesticides are also known to add to air pollution as a result of pesticide drift, and some even play a role in harming the ozone layer and contributing to global warming.

 

For more information on the benefits of going organic, please visit,

www.whygoodnature.com
extension.osu.edu

family-in-the-lawn